Tanya joined Rajah & Tann’s Competition and TMT practice as its Chief Economic and Policy Advisor, giving the practice the unique capability of providing fully integrated legal and economic advice to clients.
Tanya has been recognised annually as a leading competition economist in the international Who's Who Legal: Competition and as a consulting expert in the International Who’s Who Legal Consulting Experts: Economic Consulting – Competition Economists.
Tanya has extensive competition and regulatory experience, having worked in the policy and competition team at the then-Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA), as well as the then-Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS). At IDA, Tanya’s key responsibilities included implementing the Telecom and Postal Competition Codes, such as assessing M&A applications and investigating alleged anti-competitive practices. She also led key policy and regulatory reviews, such as reviews of the Telecom Competition Code and guidelines, as well as the Quality of Service frameworks for telecom services. At CCS, Tanya was responsible for conducting economic analysis for investigation of competition cases. Her experience includes assessing complex mergers (including conducting two Phase 2 merger reviews) and leading cases involving abuse of dominance. Tanya has also participated in dawn raids to gather information for CCS’ investigations.
Competition & Antitrust and Trade
- Assisted clients in a market study involving fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG).
- Assisted clients in CCS’s investigations against financial advisory companies for allegedly pressuring a competitor to withdraw its offer from the market, including drafting the representations to CCS’s proposed infringement decision.
- Assisted a food distribution and production company, which is also involved in inflight catering, on the transaction and competition issues arising from its proposed joint venture, including applying for confidential advice from the CCS.
- Assisted in submission of leniency application for a party under cartel investigation by the CCS.
- Assisted major postal player in responding to the competition authority’s queries in relation to their business practices vis a vis other postal players in the market, succeeding in satisfactorily addressing the authority’s queries.
- Assisted client in a cartel investigation for a multi-national freight forwarding company with major operations in Japan and Singapore in the second international cartel decision issued by the CCS.
- Assisted clients on the need for merger notification in Singapore / other ASEAN jurisdictions for proposed joint ventures/mergers across various industries (e.g. food and beverage, media etc).
- Involved in provision of competition law advice in relation to clients’ distribution agreements and exclusive arrangements across various industries (e.g. fast moving consumer goods, food and beverage etc).
- Assisted in clients’ competition compliance programmes/guidelines.
Technology, Media & Telecommunications and Other Regulatory Work
- Part of team engaged in several international projects with the World Bank and the United Nations in relation to digital identity, digital authentication and e-commerce.
- Part of team that conducted a thorough review of critical benchmark countries, and appropriately advised EMA on the legislative/regulatory positions that various regulators, both in Singapore and in other international jurisdictions, take and identify the best and most suitable approach for EMA to take in the areas of EMA’s contemplated legislative changes.
- Assisted a national research institution in Singapore in updating its policies and documents to ensure compliance with the newly enacted Human Biomedical Research Act.
- Supported in drafting of new converged regulatory framework (including telecom and broadcasting legislation, licensing mechanism, competition legislation, regulations and guidelines) for the Authority for Info-communications Technology Industry of Brunei Darussalam (AITI), including conducting training for AITI staff on implementation of the new frameworks.
- Part of team that advised Liberty Wireless on the structuring of its MVNO legal contract with M1 to enable Singapore’s first post-paid MVNO.
- Assisted in advising and drafting the submissions for CamGSM’s response to the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications of Cambodia’s public consultation on the Draft Law on Telecommunications of Cambodia.
- Part of team that regularly advises major social media and OTT players on telecoms and media regulatory issues in Singapore and in the region.
- Assisted a major consumer media entertainment provider in making submissions to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission in relation to the authority’s proposed revised competition and regulatory guidelines.
- Assisted numerous clients on the telecom regulatory frameworks in Singapore and ASEAN and assisted clients in obtaining the necessary licences from the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA).
- Assisted clients on the competition issues arising from their proposed changes in ownership, and succeeded in obtaining IMDA’s approval for the transactions.
Prior Government-Related Experience
- Review of the Long Form Consolidation Application for the acquisition of OpenNet Pte Ltd by CityNet Infrastructure Management Pte Ltd.
- Review of the proposed Consolidation involving Cable & Wireless Global Pte Limited and Vodafone Europe B.V.
- Phase 2 review of Seagate’s proposed acquisition of Samsung's hard disk drive business.
- Phase 2 review of proposed joint venture between Greif International Holding B.V. and GEP Asia Holdings Pte Ltd for the manufacturing and selling of steel drums, bitumen drums and steel pails.
- Investigation into alleged bid-rigging conduct in the construction industry.
- Investigation into alleged anti-competitive pricing in the telecom industry.
- Review of the Telecom Competition Code and Telecom Competition Code Guidelines.
- Review of accounting separation framework for the postal sector.
- Assessment of proposed rate increase by dominant postal player.
- Review of IDA's regulatory requirement for Directory Services.
- Review of IDA’s Guidelines on Maximum Contract Term and Early Termination Charges for Telecommunication Services Offered to Consumers.
- Review of SingTel's Exemption Request for the Business and Government Customer Segment and Individual Markets, involving six large telecommunication markets.
- Review of proposed consolidation involving a postal service operator in Singapore.
- Review of IDA’s Quality of Service frameworks for Basic Telecom Services and Broadband Access Services.
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Society (honour society for the liberal arts and sciences)
- Secretary for the Asia Pacific Carriers’ Coalition (APCC)
- Merger Control – Singapore (3rd and 4th Eds) by Kala Anandarajah, Dominique Lombardi and Tanya Tang, edited by Nigel Parr and Catherine Hammon, Global Legal Group.
- “Competition Law in Asia — Protecting (Against) Competition?”, CPI Antitrust Chronicle Oct 2014 (2), by Kala Anandarajah and Tanya Tang.
- “Bitcoin – Bubble or Reality?”, Computer Law Review International (CRi) 3/2014 by Sonal Basu, Rajesh Sreenivasan and Tanya Tang.
- “Regulatory oversight - boon or bane for bitcoin stakeholders in Singapore?”, The Business Times, 19 May 2014, by Rajesh Sreenivasan and Tanya Tang.