Tanya joined Rajah & Tann’s Competition and TMT practice as its Chief Economic and Policy Advisor, giving the practice the unique capability of providing fully integrated legal and economic advice to clients.
Tanya has extensive competition and regulatory experience, having worked in the policy and competition team at the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA), as well as the Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS). At IDA, Tanya’s key responsibilities included implementing the Telecom and Postal Competition Codes, such as assessing M&A applications and investigating alleged anti-competitive practices. She also led key policy and regulatory reviews, such as reviews of the Telecom Competition Code and guidelines, as well as the Quality of Service frameworks for telecom services. At CCS, Tanya was responsible for conducting economic analysis for investigation of competition cases. Her experience includes assessing complex mergers (including conducting two Phase 2 merger reviews) and leading cases involving abuse of dominance. Tanya has also participated in dawn raids to gather information for CCS’ investigations.
Tanya has been recognised as a leading competition economist in the international Who's Who Legal: Competition 2016 and 2017, and as a consulting expert in the international Who’s Who Legal Consulting Experts: Economic Consulting – Competition Economists 2016 and 2017.
Notable Cases & Transactions
Competition & Antitrust and Trade
- Acting for clients in a market study involving fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG).
- Acted for clients in CCS’s investigations against financial advisory companies for allegedly pressuring a competitor to withdraw its offer from the market, including drafting the representations to CCS’s proposed infringement decision.
- Advised a food distribution and production company, which is also involved in inflight catering, on the transaction and competition issues arising from its proposed joint venture, including applying for confidential advice from the CCS.
- Submitted a leniency application for a party under cartel investigation by the CCS.
- Assisted major postal player in responding to the competition authority’s queries in relation to their business practices vis a vis other postal players in the market, succeeding in satisfactorily addressing the authority’s queries.
- Acted in a cartel investigation for a multi-national freight forwarding company with major operations in Japan and Singapore in the second international cartel decision issued by the CCS.
- Advised clients on the need for merger notification in Singapore / other ASEAN jurisdictions for proposed joint ventures/mergers across various industries (e.g. food and beverage, media etc).
- Provided competition law advice in relation to clients’ distribution agreements and exclusive arrangements across various industries (e.g. fast moving consumer goods, food and beverage etc).
- Advised and reviewed clients’ competition compliance programmes/guidelines.
Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Drafting the new converged regulatory framework (including telecom and broadcasting legislation, licensing mechanism, competition legislation, regulations and guidelines) for the Authority for Info-communications Technology Industry of Brunei Darussalam (AITI), including conducting training for AITI staff on implementation of the new frameworks.
- Advising the International Infrastructure Guarantee Fund on the structuring of a transaction involving the development of telecommunication infrastructure in the Palapa Ring through a PPP scheme.
- Advised Liberty Wireless on the structuring of its MVNO legal contract with M1 to enable Singapore’s first post-paid MVNO.
- Advised and drafted the submissions for CamGSM’s response to the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications of Cambodia’s public consultation on the Draft Law on Telecommunications of Cambodia.
- Advised major social media and OTT players on telecoms and media regulatory issues in Singapore and in the region.
- Assisted a major consumer media entertainment provider in making submissions to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission in relation to the authority’s proposed revised competition and regulatory guidelines.
- Advised numerous clients on the telecom regulatory frameworks in Singapore and ASEAN and assisted clients in obtaining the necessary licences from the IDA.
- Advised clients on the competition issues arising from their proposed changes in ownership, and succeeded in obtaining IDA’s approval for the transactions.
Prior Government-Related Experience
- Review of the Long Form Consolidation Application for the acquisition of OpenNet Pte Ltd by CityNet Infrastructure Management Pte Ltd.
- Review of the proposed Consolidation involving Cable & Wireless Global Pte Limited and Vodafone Europe B.V.
- Phase 2 review of Seagate’s proposed acquisition of Samsung's hard disk drive business.
- Phase 2 review of proposed joint venture between Greif International Holding B.V. and GEP Asia Holdings Pte Ltd for the manufacturing and selling of steel drums, bitumen drums and steel pails.
- Investigation into alleged bid-rigging conduct in the construction industry.
- Investigation into alleged anti-competitive pricing in the telecom industry.
- Review of the Telecom Competition Code and Telecom Competition Code Guidelines.
- Review of accounting separation framework for the postal sector.
- Assessment of proposed rate increase by dominant postal player.
- Review of IDA's regulatory requirement for Directory Services.
- Review of IDA’s Guidelines on Maximum Contract Term and Early Termination Charges for Telecommunication Services Offered to Consumers.
- Review of SingTel's Exemption Request for the Business and Government Customer Segment and Individual Markets, involving six large telecommunication markets.
- Review of proposed consolidation involving a postal service operator in Singapore.
- Review of IDA’s Quality of Service frameworks for Basic Telecom Services and Broadband Access Services.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Society (honour society for the liberal arts and sciences)
- Merger Control – Singapore (3rd and 4th Eds) by Kala Anandarajah, Dominique Lombardi and Tanya Tang, edited by Nigel Parr and Catherine Hammon, Global Legal Group.
- “Competition Law in Asia — Protecting (Against) Competition?”, CPI Antitrust Chronicle Oct 2014 (2), by Kala Anandarajah and Tanya Tang.
- “Bitcoin – Bubble or Reality?”, Computer Law Review International (CRi) 3/2014 by Sonal Basu, Rajesh Sreenivasan and Tanya Tang.
- “Regulatory oversight - boon or bane for bitcoin stakeholders in Singapore?”, The Business Times, 19 May 2014, by Rajesh Sreenivasan and Tanya Tang.