Lawrence Tan is Co-Head of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice and a partner in the Capital Markets Practice in Rajah & Tann LLP. He has close to two decades of experience in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, capital markets and general corporate work.
Lawrence has been recognized in AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers 2014 as a leading lawyer in Singapore in the area of Corporate/M&A and in the Best Lawyers 2014 in the area of Corporate law in Singapore.
Lawrence has extensive experience in takeovers, mergers and acquisitions. He advises clients on a broad range of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions including:
- takeovers (contested and uncontested) of Singapore listed companies;
- mergers and schemes of arrangements;
- delistings, privatizations, de-mergers and corporate re-organizations; and
- acquisitions and divestments of companies (both public and private), businesses and assets.
Lawrence’s practice also encompasses corporate finance and capital markets transactions. He handles equity capital markets transactions including rights issues, preferential offerings and placements of equity and convertible securities. Lawrence has also handled debt capital offerings through issues of fixed and variable rate bonds/notes by way of single issuances as well as through medium term notes programmes.
In addition, Lawrence advises clients on securities laws and regulations, and compliance with the requirements of Singapore listing rules. Lawrence’s other experience includes venture capital investments, joint ventures and employment matters.
Some of the notable M&A transactions which Lawrence has worked on include:
- WBL Corporation Limited (WBL) – competing general offer by United Engineers Limited for WBL, which valued the target at S$1.25 billion; and subsequently acted for United Engineers Limited in its exit offers for WBL in connection with the voluntary delisting of WBL;
- Guthrie GTS Limited (Guthrie) – voluntary general offer by United SM Holdings Pte Ltd to privatise Guthrie, which valued the target at S$948.6 million;
- Parkway Holdings Limited (Parkway) -- competing general offer by RHC Healthcare Pte Ltd (owned by RHC Holding Private Limited and Fortis Healthcare Limited) for Parkway, which valued the target at S$3.2 billion;
- The Straits Trading Company Limited (STC) -- competing general offer by Knowledge Two Investment Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of Lee Latex (Pte) Ltd) for STC, which valued the target at S$2.13 billion;
- The Ascott Group Limited (Ascott) -- voluntary general offer by CapitaLand Limited group to privatize Ascott, which valued the target at S$2.78 billion;
- United Industrial Corporation Limited (UIC) -- mandatory general offer by Philippines-listed JG Summit Holdings, Inc. for UIC and the potential chain general offer for Singapore Land Limited, which valued the target at S$1.5 billion and Singapore Land at S$2.3 billion;
- Natsteel Limited (NatSteel) -- advising Sanion Enterprises Pte Ltd in the contested control of NatSteel; and subsequently acted for Oei Hong Leong Foundation Pte Ltd in its mandatory general offer for NatSteel, which valued the target at S$485.6 million;
- Overseas Union Bank Limited (OUB) -- acted for OUB in the competing share cum cash offers by United Overseas Bank and DBS Bank, which valued OUB at S$10.2 billion and S$9.4 billion, respectively;
- SMB United Limited (SMB) -- acted for SMB in the competing voluntary general offers by Boer Power Holdings Limited and Osaki Electric Co., Ltd., which valued SMB at S$164.2 million and S$205.2 million, respectively.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore