Lawrence Tan is Co-Head of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice and a partner in the Capital Markets Practice in Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP. He has more than 2 decades of experience in mergers and acquisitions (with particular focus on public M&A), capital markets and general corporate work.
Lawrence has in-depth experience and strong track record in handling takeovers, mergers and acquisitions of public listed companies in Singapore, having been involved in many of the competing takeover offers and other significant public M&As in Singapore.
Lawrence has been recognised in Chambers Asia-Pacific rankings (2018 edition), IFLR 1000 (2018 edition), Who’s Who Legal (2017 edition) and Best Lawyers (2018 edition) for M&A work.
Lawrence has extensive experience in takeovers, mergers and acquisitions. He advises clients on a broad range of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions including:
- takeovers (contested and uncontested) of Singapore listed companies;
- mergers and schemes of arrangements;
- delistings, privatisations, de-mergers and corporate re-organisations; and
- acquisitions and divestments of companies (both public and private), businesses and assets.
Lawrence’s practice also encompasses corporate finance and capital markets transactions. He handles equity capital markets transactions including rights issues, preferential offerings and placements of equity and convertible securities. Lawrence has also handled debt capital offerings through issues of fixed and variable rate bonds/notes by way of single issuances as well as through medium term notes programmes.
In addition, Lawrence advises clients on securities laws and regulations, and compliance with the requirements of Singapore listing rules. Lawrence’s other experience includes venture capital investments, joint ventures and employment matters.
Some of Lawrence’s significant M&A deals in recent years include:
- Global Logistics Properties Limited (GLP) – acted for GIC Private Limited (the single largest shareholder of GLP) in the proposed acquisition of GLP by Nesta Investment Holdings Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement, which valued the target at S$16 billion;
- China Minzhong Food Corporation Limited (CMZ) – pre-conditional voluntary offer by Marvellous Glory to privatise CMZ, which valued the target at S$786 million. This deal has been highly commended by FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers Awards 2017 for Innovation in Legal Expertise, and recognised by Asia Business Law Journal Winning Deals of the Year (2016) for M&A category;
- SunEdison Semiconductors Limited (listed on NASDAQ) – acted for SunEdison in the acquisition of SunEdison by GlobalWafers Co, Ltd by way of a scheme of arrangement, which valued the target at US$683 million;
- Goodpack Limited (Goodpack) - advised the major selling shareholder in the acquisition of Goodpack by way of a scheme of arrangement, which valued the target at S$1.4 billion. This deal won the M&A Deal of the Year Award at the 11th Annual ALB SE Law Awards 2015, and M&A Deal of the Year (Private Equity) Award at The Asian Lawyer’s Asia Legal Awards 2015.
- Far Eastern Bank Ltd (FEB) - recommended voluntary conditional offer by United Overseas Bank Ltd to privatise FEB, which valued the target at S$351 million;
Some of the high profile competing takeovers which Lawrence has worked on include:
- WBL Corporation Limited (WBL) - competing general offer by United Engineers Limited for WBL, which valued the target at S$1.25 billion; and subsequently acted for United Engineers Limited in its exit offer for WBL in connection with the voluntary delisting of WBL;
- Parkway Holdings Limited (Parkway) - competing general offer by RHC Healthcare Pte Ltd (owned by RHC Holding Private Limited and Fortis Healthcare Limited) for Parkway, which valued the target at S$3.2 billion. This deal won M&A Deal of the Year and Singapore Deal of the Year at the Asian Legal Business South East Asia Law Awards in 2011;
- The Straits Trading Company Limited (STC) - competing general offer by Knowledge Two Investment Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of Lee Latex (Pte) Ltd) for STC, which valued the target at S$2.13 billion;
- Natsteel Limited (NatSteel) - advised Sanion Enterprises Pte Ltd in the contested control of NatSteel; and subsequently acted for Oei Hong Leong Foundation Pte Ltd in its mandatory general offer for NatSteel, which valued the target at S$485.6 million;
- Overseas Union Bank Limited (OUB) - acted for OUB in the competing share cum cash offers by United Overseas Bank and DBS Bank, which valued OUB at S$10.2 billion and S$9.4 billion, respectively;
- SMB United Limited (SMB) - acted for SMB in the competing voluntary general offers by Boer Power Holdings Limited and Osaki Electric Co., Ltd., which valued SMB at S$164.2 million and S$205.2 million, respectively.
Other notable takeover transactions include:
- Guthrie GTS Limited (Guthrie) – voluntary general offer by United SM Holdings Pte Ltd to privatise Guthrie, which valued the target at S$948.6 million;
- The Ascott Group Limited (Ascott) - voluntary general offer by CapitaLand Limited group to privatse Ascott, which valued the target at S$2.78 billion;
- United Industrial Corporation Limited (UIC) - mandatory general offer by Philippines-listed JG Summit Holdings, Inc. for UIC and the potential chain general offer for Singapore Land Limited, which valued the target at S$1.5 billion and Singapore Land at S$2.3 billion.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore