Hamidul Haq joined Rajah & Tann LLP as a Partner after his extensive experience in white collar crime with the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) and Commercial Affairs Department (CAD).
His area of practice has bolstered the Commercial Litigation Practice in its strength and dominance in the legal circle, particularly in securities offences, business crimes, fraud and asset seizure litigation.
Prior to joining Rajah & Tann LLP, Haq was a Deputy Senior State Counsel/Deputy Public Prosecutor of the Criminal Justice Division, Attorney-General's Chambers. His work involved prosecution matters and giving advice on corporate and securities cases including civil penalty actions for market misconduct under the Securities and Futures Act. As Head Legal in the CAD for eight years, Haq dealt with many high profile commercial and securities cases against top Senior Counsel of Singapore Bar and Queen’s Counsel from various Commonwealth jurisdictions.
He is recommended in the area of White Collar Crime in the Expert’s Guide 2014, in the area of investigations of Who’s Who Legal 2014, in the area of Dispute Resolution by Asia Law Profiles 2007, in the area of Business Crime Who’s Who Legal, Singapore 2008 – ‘possesses a sharp mind and steady hand’. (Quote) and in the area of White Collar Crime Prosecution by Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2006-2007).
Haq’s area of work also covered money laundering matters in the country under the Corruption, Drug Trafficking, Serious Crimes (Confiscation of Benefits) Act; either in respect of confiscation of assets, advising on legislation, representing Singapore at the United Nations and other international fora, or lecturing at the International Monetary Fund on the Singapore perspective.
Haq presently heads the Indonesian Desk of Rajah & Tann LLP, to develop Indonesian related legal matters in several areas: Arbitration/Dispute Resolution, Corporate/M&A, Strategic Advisory matters, Oil, Gas, Energy Sectors and the Telecommunication industry. He has been working on several arbitration matters related to large Indonesian entities and the State.
Since joining Rajah & Tann LLP, Haq’s Deals List include the following:
- Large cigarette manufacturing company advertising case: Successfully defended the company in a prosecution by HSA.
- Advising one of the world’s leading accounting firms in relation to judicial management issues and in asset tracing of over USD 30 million.
- Representing the employees of a large US company with a subsidiary in Singapore, in relation to a prosecution of one of its Group Accountants by the Commercial Affairs Department for misappropriation of over USD 10 million.
- Advising a large global financial advisory organization in relation to investigation of a publicly listed company for financial mismanagement.
- Advising a large Indonesian Group in the construction industry on possible arbitration in Singapore in relation to their supply agreement.
- Advising an Indonesian energy related company on an arbitration in Singapore in relation to a Sales & Purchase Agreement.
- Advising foreign law firms acting on behalf of corporate institutions regarding reporting and disclosure obligations in Singapore in relation to criminal conduct suspicions discovered during due diligence exercises in Singapore.
- Advising foreign parties in relation to production and restraint orders for bank accounts under the Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters Act (‘MACMA’) and the Corruption, Drug Trafficking and Other Serious Crimes (Confiscation of Benefits) Act (‘CDSA’) and anti-money laundering issues.
- Defending officers of a publicly listed company in respect of market misconduct and insider trading in a Commercial Affairs Department investigation.
- Representing officers of various companies in relation to civil penalty proceedings undertaken by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (‘MAS’) for insider trading and market manipulation under the Securities and Futures Act (‘SFA’).
- Representing the directors of a publicly listed company in Singapore in relation to allegations of fraud.
- Advising a large oil and chemical manufacturing company (publicly listed) on market misconduct issues in relation to investigations by the Commercial Affairs Department.
- Advising a director of an international telecommunication corporation in the conduct of criminal and civil proceedings.
- Acting for a leading Asian utilities and marine group against various parties in respect of a project in the Middle East.
- Advising the directors of an international company on issues relating to the Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters Act (‘MACMA’) involving a criminal investigation in another Commonwealth jurisdiction.
- Representing the directors of a publicly listed company in Singapore in relation to allegations of improprieties found in an auditor’s report.
- Representing a European financial institution in relation to market misconduct investigations by the Monetary Authority of Singapore in civil penalty proceedings.
- Acting for several trading representatives of an Asian securities company in relation to market misconduct investigation by the Commercial Affairs Department.
- Acting for a securities broker in relation to false trading and market manipulation of securities of a publicly listed company.
- Advising the directors of an international multi-million dollar company in respect of extradition matters involving non-Commonwealth countries.
- Extradition case involving four Singaporeans requested for extradition to the United States of America to face charges of conspiring to defraud the US government (Represented three out of the four Singaporeans).
- Extradition case involving an Indonesian businessman requested for extradition to Australia to face charges of corruption.
- Defending a senior civil servant charged with multiple counts of corruptly obtaining sexual gratifications.
- Forfeiture of bank account under a foreign request and the local legislation.
- Advising the government of Indonesia in relation to ongoing ICSID proceedings in 2014.
Memberships / Directorships
- Deputy Chairman, Disciplinary Committee ~ Singapore Exchange Limited
- Member, Anti-Corruption Committee Asia Pacific, International Bar Association and Asset Recovery Sub-Committee
- Co-Principal Examiner ~ Singapore Institute of Legal Education, Foreign Practitioner Examination
- Member, Disciplinary Panel ~ Council of Estate Agencies
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore and Singapore Academy of Law
- Vice Chairman, Ad Hoc Committee (Entrapment Policies) ~ The Law Society of Singapore
- Member ~ The Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Appeals Board ~ Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (Judicial capacity)
- Prosecutor, Anti-Doping Singapore (ADS)
- Member of the 4th Committee on Supply of Lawyers
- Authored the book “Financial Crimes in Singapore” 2014 (Lexis Nexis).
- Authored the Singapore chapter of the ICLG Business Crime 2012.
- Featured in Singapore Chapter of the Guide to Anti-Corruption Regulation in Asia (2011) (Herbert Smith)