Sheng Rong practises in the area of dispute resolution, with a focus on complex cross-border litigation and international commercial arbitration.
He has acted as lead counsel and has worked with various Senior Counsel on a range of matters.
He has appeared in litigation before the Singapore Court of Appeal, the Singapore International Commercial Court and the Singapore High Court, and in arbitrations under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Sheng Rong’s main areas of practice include energy and resources, commercial fraud and investigations, employment, and equity and trusts, and he has represented government-linked entities, banks and financial institutions, corporations and high net worth individuals.
He also regularly volunteers for pro bono cases under the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme.
Prior to joining the firm, Sheng Rong was a Deputy Public Prosecutor at the Attorney-General’s Chambers, where he conducted investigations and prosecutions in respect of a range of various criminal and regulatory offences, including white-collar commercial crime, cybercrime, and securities and regulatory matters.
He was the winner of the Christopher Bathurst Prize 2011, organised by Fountain Court Chambers in London, UK. He also came in as the first runner-up in the ECC-SAL International Mooting Competition 2013, organised by Essex Court Chambers in London, UK.
Sheng Rong was accepted into the prestigious NYU-NUS LLB-LLM concurrent degree programme, and graduated on the Overall Dean’s List.
Some of the matters which Sheng Rong has worked on are listed below.
Energy and resources disputes
- Acting for an Australian public-listed company against an Indonesian public-listed company in a billion-dollar litigation before the Singapore International Commercial Court pertaining to a joint-venture for the construction and operation of a coal upgrading plant in Indonesia
- Acting in a multi-million dollar litigation before the High Court pertaining to the supply of coal to a power plant in India
Commercial fraud and investigations
- Acting for a multi-national group of coal mining companies against its ex-employees in litigation before the High Court pertaining to fraud and conspiracy to divert profits and business opportunities
- Advising a global resources company in respect of a fraudulent conspiracy by its employees to misappropriate monies to a third-party company secretly owned by them
- Advising a global luxury brand on criminal investigations by foreign authorities in respect of the import and export of goods into and out of various countries
- Advising a high net worth individual on criminal investigations by government authorities in respect of alleged fraud and insider trading
- Acting for ex-employees in litigation before the High Court and the Court of Appeal pertaining to alleged breaches of directors’ and employment duties and alleged breaches of non-compete clauses
- Acting for a multi-national group of natural resources companies against ex-employees in litigation before the High Court pertaining to breaches of employment duties
- Acting for medical practitioners in litigation before the High Court pertaining to alleged breaches of employment duties and alleged breaches of non-compete clauses
Equity and trusts disputes
- Acting for Serbian companies in litigation before the High Court and the Court of Appeal pertaining to the garnishment of monies held on trust for a former Yugoslav government-linked entity
- Acting for the trustees of multiple properties in Singapore valued at over S$36 million in litigation before the Court of Appeal pertaining to the creation of a Muslim charitable trust (wakaf) over the properties and the jurisdiction of the Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura to administer the properties
- Acting for the trustees of a Muslim charitable trust (wakaf) in proceedings before the Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura pertaining to a separate trustee’s breach of trust and mismanagement of the trust
International commercial arbitration and arbitration-related litigation
- Acting for a BVI company against a Malaysian company in arbitration under the SIAC Rules pertaining to a shareholders’ dispute over ownership of a Vietnamese company
- Acting for a BVI company against a foreign government-linked entity in an application before the High Court to set aside an award issued in an arbitration under the ICC Rules pertaining to a contract governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG)
- Acting for a ready-mixed concrete supplier against a main contractor in litigation before the Court of Appeal pertaining to the frustration of a supply contract following the 2007 Indonesian sand ban
- Acting for a pan-Asian steel material supplier against a main contractor in litigation before the High Court pertaining to the breach of payment terms under a supply contract
- Acting for a regional supplier of aluminium composite materials in litigation before the High Court pertaining to the alleged breach of implied terms under a supply contract
Financial services disputes
- Acting for a global private bank in litigation before the High Court pertaining to customer losses sustained through margin trading
- Acting for a global private bank in litigation before the High Court pertaining to the freezing of an account holder’s assets by Singapore authorities
Intellectual property disputes
- Acting for a Singapore payroll and human resources outsourcing company against its ex-employees in litigation before the High Court pertaining to alleged breaches of copyright, confidence and employees’ duties
Other commercial disputes
- Acting for a professional body against a technology start-up in litigation before the High Court pertaining to alleged conspiracy to injure, alleged unlawful interference with trade and alleged anti-competitive behaviour
- Acting for a Singapore lawyer in a professional negligence claim before the High Court pertaining to a property investment scheme in South America
- Acting for a high net worth individual in litigation before the High Court pertaining to a dispute between shareholders of a prominent social club in Singapore
- StreetSine Singapore Pte Ltd v Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers and others  SGHCR 1
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and another v PT Bayan Resources TBK and another  5 SLR 77;  SGHC(I) 6
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and another v PT Bayan Resources TBK and another  4 SLR 1;  SGHC(I) 1
- The State-Owned Company Yugoimport SDPR (also known as Jugoimport-SDPR) v Westacre Investments Inc and other appeals  5 SLR 372;  SGCA 51
- Alliance Concrete Singapore Pte Ltd v Sato Kogyo (S) Pte Ltd  3 SLR 857;  SGCA 35
- Griffin Travel Pte Ltd v Nagender Rao Chilkuri and others  SGHC 205
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Advocacy Trainer, Law Society of Singapore
- Contributor, Chapter on “Role of Court”, Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon, ed., Arbitration in Singapore: A Practical Guide (Sweet & Maxwell) (2nd ed., 2018; 1st ed., 2014)