Regional Infrastructure, Energy & Resources
Some significant transactions which we have worked on include:
- Advised on the grant of concession to take over, operate, maintain and upgrade a co-generation plant to supply electricity and chilled water to KL International Airport.
- Advised on the feasibility of the development of a mixed-use military airport on a PPP basis.
- Represented a consortium that included two of the largest Philippine conglomerates in its bid for the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Project.
- Advised a consortium that included two of the largest Philippine conglomerates and Singapore’s Changi Airports in its bid for the concession to manage, operate and maintain the existing passenger terminal as well as a new passenger terminal for the Clark International Airport Project.
- Advised a bidder on its bid for the design, build and operation of a Deep Sea Port in the Kyauk Phyu Special Economic Zone in the Bay of Bengal.
- Represented an Asian port operator in a LCIA arbitration in relation to a project to develop and build a port terminal.
- Together with the International Finance Corporation and the Development Bank of the Philippines, advised the Philippine government on the modernisation of the Sasa Port in Mindanao Island in the Philippines.
- Advised on the development of the jetty, inland container depot, container freight station and CFS-warehouse in the integrated logistics park and inland water transport jetty linked dry port in Yangon, Myanmar.
- Acted for bidders for the Laguna Lakeshore Expressway-Dike Project of the Philippines’ Department of Public Works and Highways and the Laguna Lake Development Authority.
- Acted on DBOT highway projects in Hebei and Heilongjiang, PRC for Singapore corporates.
- Represented a consortium that included two of the largest Philippine conglomerates in its bid for a major expressway in the Philippines.
- Adviser to the concessionaire for the construction, completion and maintenance of the South Klang Valley Expressway project.
- Advising the State Railway of Thailand in respect of a high-speed railway project.
- Advised the Department of Transport in the tender for the development, financing, construction, operation and maintenance of a nineteen-kilometre elevated light rail transit system that will traverse portions of Cavite province in the Philippines.
- Representing a party with respect to a US$120 million dispute arising out of a contract for trackworks for an electrified double track project in a South East Asian state.
- Advising on the Palapa Ring PPP submarine cable project in Indonesia to bring internet connectivity to various parts of Indonesia that currently do not have access to such critical infrastructure.
- Advising of the provision of ICT services for Singapore's sports facility infrastructure PPP project.
- Advising a mobile operator on its procurement of supply, design, installation, testing and commissioning and project management services for in-building coverage and quality improvement for the development and implementation of 3G services
- Advised a master developer in respect of a chilled water plant on a Design Build Own and Operate (DBOO) basis within its proposed development of a multi-utility hub in subterranean space under a public park.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to DBS Bank Ltd, the mandated lead arranger, underwriter and financial adviser, for the Marina Bay District Cooling project.
- Acted for Hyflux Ltd and its subsidiaries, as joint lead counsel, in relation to the tender, construction, development and financing of Singapore's second desalination plant.
- Advising a client in connection with a joint venture with a local water district (a government entity) for the construction and operation of a bulk water facility in a major city in the Philippines.
- Advised an EPC contractor on the engineering, procurement and construction of a mechanical and biological waste treatment plant in Singapore.
- Advised a leading oil and gas infrastructure services companies in a dispute arising out of an undertaking to construct and operate a state-of-the-art, one-of-its-kind "clean-energy and waste treatment" plant.
- Advised on the development, design, construction, operation and maintenance of a 100tpd scheduled waste to energy plant Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.
- Advising an international fruit processing company in the development of biogas facilities that will convert fruit waste to biogas partly for use in the company’s canning operations in the Philippines and partly for electricity generation to supply its requirements.
- Advised the master developer for Tun Razak Exchange in respect of specialist infrastructure projects (i.e. electricity distribution, district cooling, recycled water treatment and waste water treatment plants and potable water distribution network) undertaken on a design, build, own, operate, finance and transfer basis.
- Advised the master developer for a cluster of islands (which will be developed into luxurious hotels) in the Maldives for the development of electricity facilities, waste water treatment and water facilities and other utility facilities for these hotels.
- Advised a major construction conglomerate on its bids for three PPP projects within a special economic zone in Myanmar for the development of a deep sea port, an integrated residential area and industrial park.
- Advising a Chinese state-owned company in relation to a possible project, which may be implemented by way of an unsolicited proposal, involving the development, construction, operation and maintenance of an integrated LNG facility in the Philippines which would consist of, among other things, an LNG receiving terminal, storage and regasification facilities, and a gas-fired power plant.
Oil & Gas
- Acted for bidders during the competitive sales processes for upstream oil & gas assets of Hess in Indonesia, Murphy Oil in Malaysia, and Newfield in Malaysia and China.
- Acted for a regional government on its negotiation of offshore production sharing contracts with Chevron, TOTAL and PetroVietnam, and BOT concession arrangements for downstream petroleum infrastructure.
- Acted for BG Group in connection with its four offshore oil & gas projects in Myanmar being conducted in joint venture with Woodside, including two deep-water and two shallow-water projects.
- Acted for Singapore LNG Corporation Pte Ltd (SLNG) in the drafting and negotiation of the S$700 million EPC contract for the Phase 3 expansion of the Singapore LNG Terminal.
- Acted for a leading US-listed oil & gas service provider in a dispute arising out of contracts for the supply of a semi-submersible drilling rig for offshore exploration and drilling in the Philippines.
- Acted for one of the world’s largest resources companies on its bauxite and alumina projects in Asia and Africa, including acquisition, shareholder and management agreements.
- Acted for one of the world’s largest resources companies on its proposed joint ventures to develop mineral smelters in Malaysia and the Middle East.
- Acted for a listed company on its mineral projects in Laos and Thailand, including joint venture, structuring, supply chain management and financing matters.
- Acted for one of the largest coal mining companies in Indonesia on its initial public offering (IPO).
- Acted for one of the world's largest resources companies in an arbitration in connection with joint venture arrangements for a US$1.5 billion nickel project in the Philippines.
- Acted for the lenders in the project financing of the Phu My 2 and Phu My 3 power plant projects in Vietnam, and JEXIM on the financing of a power plant in Vietnam.
- Advised Sun Edison on the development of photovoltaic electric plants under the Feed-in-Tariff System of SEDA Malaysia.
- Acted for the Government of Myanmar (Ministry of Electric Power) on its corporatisation and reform of a State-owned electricity utility and proposed investment by a multilateral financing agency.
- Acted on the liberalisation of the Singapore electricity market and the establishment of the National Electricity Market of Singapore operated by the Energy Market Company (EMC). Subsequently advised EMC on market reforms, proposed implementation of an electricity futures market, and its review and update of market rules and manuals regulating the wholesale electricity market.
- Advised a consortium of multinational banks in connection with their extension of a US$650 million loan to a leading Philippine power generation company to fund its acquisition of more power generation assets.
- Advised a consortium of multinational banks in connection with their extension of a US$300 million loan to a leading power generation company to fund its acquisition of more power generation assets.
- Acted on landmark market and regulatory reforms in Singapore, such as the structuring and establishment of the Singapore Exchange (SGX), the Gold Exchange of Singapore, the Singapore International Monetary Exchange (SIMEX, now known as Singapore Exchange Derivatives Trading) and the Singapore Commodity Exchange (SICOM).
- Acted for a leading regional resources company on its establishment of a commodity trading hub in Singapore in connection with a US$6 billion mineral project in Australia.
- Acted for China Aviation Oil (Singapore) Corporation in its restructuring and successful rehabilitation following its US$550 million oil derivatives trading losses in 2004.