SIENG Deline joined R&T Sok & Heng in 2016 from ANZ Royal, a leading international bank in Cambodia where he spent over six years as Head of Legal & Compliance. In addition to his in-house legal expertise, Deline’s 14-year legal experience includes being external Legal Advisor assisting banking and business clients; Legal Researcher focusing his research studies on trade-related laws during the period of Cambodia’s first entry into the WTO; and Official at the National Bank of Cambodia, looking after regulatory preparation works.
Deline is licensed to practise law in Cambodia by the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia. He also spent more than 10 years in legal teaching as part-time lecturer in several universities and professional training center in Phnom Penh.
He holds a Master of Public Administration; a “Maîtrise” of Private Law from the University Lyon 2 in France and two Bachelors of law, one in French “private” law from the same university and one in Cambodian “public” law from Royal University of Economics and Law in Phnom Penh.
In-house counseling in Banking and Finance
- Lead Legal & Compliance unit of ANZ Royal Bank to manage legal risk and ensure compliance and reputation status of the bank against legal and regulatory requirements as well as bank’s Group policies and international standards.
- Coordinate and review the structure of major lending projects, especial those of cross-border and/or syndication nature and those having significant impact on the bank’s balance sheet position.
- Represent the bank on all legal and regulatory matters in dealing with its external stakeholders (including regulators, court; banking association, business counterparties, key clients; etc.) and internal stakeholders (including regional offices and different business and product channels) to drive business growth and manage legal risk exposure of the bank, as well as to improve the legal and regulatory framework of the entire banking industry.
- Participate in the strategic management and leadership team of the bank through membership in the Executive Committee and Risk Management Committee, chairmanship of Enablement Risk Forum, and advice to bank’s CEO and Board Chairman on complicated and sensitive matters.
- Act as Company Secretary of the Bank, overseeing corporate governance affairs in interaction with the bank’s Board of Directors and Shareholders.
External Legal Advisory
- Provide legal advices to business clients, with key expertise in regulated industries including Banking, Telecom; Insurance, and Investment.
- Provide consultancy service to state ministries, IOs, NGOs on projects in areas of regulated sectors, trade related laws and state governance.
- Coordinate with government authorities and other relevant stakeholders to ensure timely and professional achievement of clients’ projects.
- Attend to giving speeches as guest speaker within conference or workshop where invited.
Legal research in support of economic development
- Conduct core research on trade-related law; state governance and regulated industries with special focus on development in WTO-related legal framework.
- Manage research projects funded by outside institutions in the whole project cycle including fund proposal, budget management, field work & literature review, findings analysis, report writing and public presentation.
- Write articles for regular reviews and publications, aimed at providing recommendations to drive policy changes.
- Provide lecture/speeches on issues of trade-related law; state governance and regulated industries, where invited by outside institutions.
- Participate in the preparation of draft laws and regulations of the National Bank of Cambodia (NBC).
- Facilitate and coordinate consultative meetings between NBC’s management and international experts.
- Facilitate and coordinate training & seminars organized by NBC as regards legal and regulatory matters.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member of the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Member of the Executive Committee and Risk Management Committee of ANZ Royal Bank (former role).
- Chairman of Enablement Risk Forum of ANZ Royal Bank (former role)
- Report on “Comparative Studies on Sectoral Regulation in Developing Countries, publication of CUTS-International (2005)
- Report on “Labor Law in the Informal Economy: Extension of the Labour Protection to the Informal Economy”, publication of the ILO (2005)
- Article on “Sectoral Regulations in the Cambodian Free-Market Economy”, EIC Economic Review No. 9 (2005)
- Report on “Local Public Services: Service Performance and Unofficial Fees”, publication of EIC funded by Pact-Cambodia/DANIDA (2006)
- Article on “Public Administrative Reform”, EIC Cambodia Economic Watch Volume III (2006)
- Article on “Legal and Judicial Reform to Improve Governance”, EIC Cambodia Economic Watch Volume III (2006)