Danny specialises in complex international commercial disputes and investigations across a multitude of industries. In particular, on the banking and finance front, he has led cross-border disputes involving complex financial products, cryptocurrencies, securitisation transactions, commodities, bonds, market manipulation, insider trading, layering and spoofing, and investigations into interest-rate fixing, currency fixing, and money laundering, to name a few. Most recently, he successfully prosecuted the first cryptocurrency claim before the Singapore International Commercial Court, which raised novel and complex legal issues as to the nature and trading of cyrptocurrencies.
He has been recognised in these areas of expertise by international legal directories, with clients describing him as “a formidable force”, “an excellent litigator”, “our go-to guy", “outstanding lawyer”, “very switched on”, "good when you need someone to fight your corner", “sophisticated and thorough in his work”, “adept at tackling unique and challenging issues”, “very commercial, he knows when he has to be aggressive and commercially aware at the same time", “combining a deep and broad knowledge of the law with a pleasant manner and an ability to switch gears and become a powerful advocate and highly effective cross-examiner", “very client and service oriented” and “excellent for contentious restructuring matters”.
He is also deeply experienced and known for his work in cross-border fraud and asset recovery investigations and litigation. Danny is regularly called upon to investigate and prosecute claims involving complex multi-jurisdictional corporate and commercial fraud, and the recovery of misappropriated assets globally, most recently arising from the 1MDB debacle. He is the sole Singapore member of the International Chamber of Commerce’s Fraudnet, an international network of independent leading civil asset recovery specialists. Danny has been recognised by Who’s Who Legal as amongst the Global Elite and one of 40 Thought Leaders in the field of asset recovery globally.
Danny has also acted and continues to act in some of the largest and most complex insolvencies in the region representing liquidators and creditors, including acting for the liquidators overseeing 45 Lehman entities across Asia (ex-Japan), MF Global Singapore, Dynamic Oil Trading (of the OW Bunker Group), and BSI Bank, and is particularly known for his expertise in complex cross-border contentious insolvency.
Danny is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, and formerly the firm’s Deputy Head of Dispute Resolution Practices. He graduated from the National University of Singapore and is admitted to the Singapore Bar as well as the Rolls of Solicitors of the High Courts of Hong Kong and England and Wales.
Danny is a lead advocacy trainer of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education. He is also a founding director and Vice-President of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) of Singapore and South-East Asia.
Financial Litigation and Regulatory Investigations
- Acted for B2C2 Ltd, one of the world’s largest market maker in digital currencies, in proceedings before the Singapore International Commercial Court in a dispute involving allegations of manipulation via algorithmic trading and misappropriation of bitcoins. This was the first action in Singapore involving the trading of digital currencies.
- Acting for the liquidators of BSI Bank and separately, a US investment bank, in relation to investigations into alleged laundering and dissipation of some USD700 million purportedly belonging to Malaysian-state owned company, 1MDB, through various channels, which has spawned criminal investigations and legal proceedings in Singapore, Switzerland, New Zealand, and the US.
- Acting for Bank JTrust (formerly Bank Century Indonesia) and JTrust Co Ltd in defending claims for over USD100 million before the Singapore Court arising from English-law governed bonds, involving parallel proceedings in New York, Mauritius, and Japan.
- Acted for WorldQuant (Singapore), one of the largest quantitative trading firms globally, in prosecuting a claim for alleged misappropriation of proprietary quantitative trading systems and algorithms.
- Acted for Lehman Brothers Singapore Private Limited in the defence of an action by individual investors alleging misrepresentations in the prospectus for the $10 billion notes programme issued by Minibond Limited.
- Acted for global financial institutions in claims before the Singapore Court for the enforcement of syndicated loans and ancillary onshore and offshore securities, and resisting claims by private wealth clients arising from investments (including in offshore funds, equity-linked notes, structured bonds, accumulators and decumulators, leveraged foreign exchange, and commodities options).
- Acted for global financial institutions in investigating into alleged schemes to manipulate SIBOR interest rates and non-deliverable forward (NDF) rates, as part of a global investigations into such schemes across the major international financial markets, as well as investigations related to contingent convertible bonds (CoCos), and represented them in related claims.
- Acted for syndicated lenders in a claim against an Indonesian tycoon and his companies for the recovery of facilities granted of over $140 million to an Indonesian conglomerate and enforcement of security onshore in Indonesia, which involved proceedings in Singapore and Indonesia.
- Acted and continue to act for some of the largest brokerages in the region – Maybank Kim Eng, UOB Kay Hian, KGI Securities, Philipp Securities - in claims before the Singapore Courts arising from trading in equities, commodities, and foreign currencies, and in market manipulation and market rigging cases.
Corporate and Commercial
- Acting for MAN Diesel Group, the world market leader for large diesel engines for use in ships and power stations, in defending an action before the Singapore Courts brought by Skaugen Group, a marine transportation services provider headquartered in Norway, for the recovery of damages for alleged fraudulent misrepresentation and manipulation on the part of MAN Diesel in relation to fuel consumption values of certain diesel engines manufactured and delivered by MAN Diesel in the early 2000s.
- Acted for ST Microelectronics Asia, one of the largest global semi-conductor manufacturers, in a dispute relating to the supply of chips for a $600 million national identity card project in South-East Asia, involving parallel proceedings in Singapore and Indonesia.
- Acted for various Indonesian parties in defending a $12 billion SIAC arbitration claim relating to natural resources projects in Indonesia, including one of the largest mines in Indonesia.
- Acted for Eli Lilly Group, one of the largest global pharmaceutical groups listed on NYSE, in a contractual dispute with the Tempo Group of Indonesia, listed on the Jakarta Stock Exchange, including successfully obtaining an anti-suit injunction from the Singapore Courts restraining PT Tempo Scan from continuing a claim brought by it before the Indonesian Courts against Eli Lilly.
- Acted for Suntech Singapore in defending a $200 million claim by the liquidators of Power Solar Co Ltd, following upon the collapse of the Suntech Group.
- Acted for GSF Capital in defending a EUR500 million claim by Suntech Power Holdings in relation to an alleged fraudulent bond issuance, involving proceedings in Singapore, England, Italy, and China.
- Acted for a director of a property investment company in defending a $250 million claim for alleged breach of fiduciary duties and trust in respect of a project in China.
Insolvency and Restructuring
- Acting for the liquidators of Dynamic Oil Trading (Singapore) Pte Ltd (“DOT”) in one of the most high-profile insolvencies in the shipping industry in Singapore in recent times, as part of the global collapse of the OW Bunker group.
- Acting for the liquidators of MF Global Singapore, the most high-profile insolvency in the financial industry in Singapore since Lehman Brothers involving thousands of MF Global customers and efforts in recovering customers’ proprietary funds of over US$400 million in Singapore and other jurisdictions, including in landmark proceedings before the Singapore Courts for the sanction of interim distribution of over US$350 million of customers’ funds, and for the determination of complex issues relating to the treatment of customers’ claims for profits arising from leveraged foreign exchange and bullion transactions under Singapore's regulatory framework.
- Acted for the liquidators various Lehman Brothers Singapore entities, including in Nomura’s acquisition of Lehman’s franchises in Asia-Pacific following the collapse of Lehman Brothers in September 2008, which included the distressed sale of assets and the migration of employees (approximately 3,000 employees in multiple locations) across the Asia Pacific region under a very tight time frame following the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
- Acted for HSBC Trustees and Bank of New York Mellon and international bondholders in the restructuring of defaulted bonds issued by various Singapore, Indonesian, and Chinese corporations.
Fraud Litigation and Investigations
- Represented companies owned or controlled by Yves Bouvier in relation to a USD1 billion dispute with Dmitry Ryblolovlev and companies associated with him arising from the sale of valuable art, and successfully procured the setting aside of freezing orders against these companies.
- Acted in a $500 million dispute before the Singapore Courts relating to an alleged fraud perpetrated on Suntech Holdings Limited, a US listed company, in respect of the financing of solar power plants in Europe, which involved proceedings in Singapore, England, Luxembourg, and Italy.
- Acting for DBS Bank in prosecuting claims before the Singapore Courts arising from a fraud perpetrated on the bank, and recovery of proceeds across Asia.
- Defended a $4 billion fraud and asset recovery claim brought by Motorola Solutions before the Singapore Courts relating to an alleged fraud perpetrated by a wealthy family involving multiple jurisdictions including the Middles East, U.S. and Hong Kong.
- Acted for a state-owned trading company in investigations into a $125 million fraud perpetrated by officers and controllers of that company in relation to its oil trading activities, and represented the state-owned company in civil claims brought before the Singapore Courts and related criminal complaints.
- Acted for the liquidators of an insolvent international company in respect of a civil action in Singapore for a US$1 billion fraud perpetrated on the company, including obtaining search and seizure and freezing orders against multiple parties.
- Acting for over 1,000 investors in relation to an investment ponzi scheme emanating out of Canada, including investigating into and prosecuting fraud claims against the perpetrators.
- Acting in proceedings arising from a AUD160 million global ponzi scheme, which spawned proceedings in Cayman, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, UK.
- Acted for a bank in respect of misappropriation of over $200 million and fraud and tracing claims arising therefrom against multiple parties in various jurisdictions, with worldwide freezing and disclosure orders obtained in various jurisdictions, including Singapore, Hong Kong, England, Switzerland, Nigeria, and the U.S.
Memberships / Directorships
- Director and Vice-President, Turnaround Management Association, South East Asia
- Member, Standards & Policies Committee, International Chamber of Commerce’s Fraudnet
- Member, Advocacy Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Insolvency Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore