Nicholas specialises in both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property (IP) and information technology (IT) matters.
With regards to IT matters, he has assisted in advising the government together with Queens Counsel in a significant IT dispute, and also acted for a multi-national corporation in an international ICC arbitration in a dispute relating to a failed IT implementation project. These and other IT disputes that he has advised clients on have given him a unique understanding of the problems that usually arise in IT disputes and how to handle them.
He also has experience advising clients in a wide variety of IP disputes. These range from contractual disputes relating to the licensing of software copyright, failed joint venture where the transfer of intellectual property was in dispute, judicial site blocking for flagrantly infringing websites, and various forms of patent, trade mark, copyright and registered design infringement. In addition, he has carried out several successful IP enforcement programmes for various prominent international companies.
In terms of non-contentious work, Nicholas has advised clients on the setting up of an eMoney/eWallet platform, and strategised with them on how best to registering their IP. He also has a growing practice relating to food importation and regulation and has given talks at Vitafoods Asia 2017.
Both he and some of his work for organisations such as the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and Daiso Industries have been cited in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, and he has been named as one of Singapore’s 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under by the Singapore Business Review 2016.
Notable Cases & Transactions
IT related matters
- Assisted in representing an international IT solutions provider in an arbitration in Singapore under the ICC Rules commenced by a Malaysian Islamic bank in an IT implementation dispute.
- Advised and represented a well-known multi-national software company in an arbitration in Singapore under the SIAC Rules against an ex-distributor of their software for breach of software licensing agreements.
- Assisted in representing the Singapore Government against a multi-national IT solutions provider in relation to various disputes relating to the provision of various IT services and hardware.
- Advised a prominent German automotive company on the setting up of an eMoney/eWallet platform in Asia Pacific.
- Advised a local statutory board on the implementation of various hardware and software solutions relating to the guidance of aircraft.
- Acted for a local integrated resort operator in carrying out UDRP proceedings against a cyber-squatter.
- Advised and represented a regional wealth management software provider in defending a claim by an international testing solution company for the payment of monies due under an IT contract, and raising a counterclaim for the failure to deliver an automated test bed.
IP related matters
- Advised a local solar energy production company in defending claims of patent infringement by a competitor.
- Advised a local HR software solutions company in a claim for copyright infringement and breach of confidential information by a competitor started by ex-employees.
- Advised an international Sports channel provider in relation to allegations of breach of agreement by a local telecommunications company.
- Assisted in representing a prominent Chinese company in SIAC arbitration proceedings in Singapore commenced by Canadian parties for alleged breaches of a joint venture agreement, which encompassed a transfer of patents and technology in road recycling machinery.
- Advised a well-known integrated communications and media company on judicial site blocking in Singapore.
- Advised a Taiwanese beverage franchisor in relation to possible breaches of licensing agreement and IP infringement by a local franchisee.
- Acted for a Chinese bicycle rental company in opposing various trade marks filed by a competitor.
- Advised the franchisee of popular frozen yoghurt chain in relation to unauthorised outlets by a Chinese sub-franchisee in China.
- Advised a prominent international fashion house in relation to carrying out an intellectual property enforcement program.
- Advised a local licensee of a massive multiplayer online role-playing game in relation to possible IP infringement by parties running the game off unofficial servers.
- Assisted in acting for a well-known multi-national software company in carrying out an IP enforcement raid against an official distributor of its software who was in fact, manufacturing and selling counterfeit copies of its software.
Other recent notable matters
- Acted for a prominent multi-national software company in defending defamation proceedings commenced by an ex-local distributor against it and its employees.
- Advised a Japanese chemical company in relation to a dispute relating to the finalisation of a closing date balance sheet in the sale of a company to an Indian entity.
- Acted for a prominent international software company in obtaining orders for depositions in Singapore to be taken in assistance of US Court proceedings, pursuant to letters of request.
- Acted for a junior tennis player in relation to defamatory Facebook postings by the father of a competitor.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Intellectual Property and IT Committees, 2017