Lih Shyng has close to forty years’ experience in legal practice. His range of work over that period covered commercial litigation in the Singapore Supreme Court in a wide variety of cases, primarily involving maritime and international trade.
Lih Shyng also has extensive experience advising and representing PRC clients as well as Singapore business entities in their commercial dealings involving China.Since 2003, Lih Shyng has lived and worked in Shanghai, where he advises Singapore and international clients on issues relevant to foreign investment and M&A in China, as well as representing PRC companies in their business ventures in Singapore and other South East Asian nations.
Lih Shyng is fluent (speak, write, read) in English and Putonghua (Chinese Mandarin) and a modest clutch of Chinese dialects.
He is active in dispute resolution matters through involvement in arbitration proceedings, both in advisory role as well as being appointed as arbitrator in various proceedings. He has experience in arbitration proceedings, both as arbitrator and as counsel, held according to rules of various arbitral institutions, including those of the ICC, SIAC, CIETAC, AAA and LMAA, as well as in numerous ad hoc proceedings.
Memberships / Directors
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Member, China International Economic & Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) Panel of Arbitrators for International Disputes
- Member, Asia-Pacific Regional Grouping (APRAG) Panel of Arbitrators for Singapore
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Council Member, Law Society of Singapore (1990 - 1995)
- Chairman, Law Society of Singapore Publicity Rules Review Committee (1993 – 1996)
- Chairman, Law Society of Singapore Admissions Committee (1997 - 2000)
- Independent Director, Natsteel Broadway Ltd (1996 – 2000
- Independent Director, JK Yaming International Holdings Ltd (1999 – 2003)
- Director, Valles Steamship (Singapore) Pte Ltd (1997- Present)
- International Commercial Arbitration in Asia, Singapore Chapter (co-author), Juris Publishing, Inc., 1st Ed 2002, 2nd Ed 2005 and 3rd Ed 2013