Vu Thi Que, a co-founder of Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, is the Partner in charge of the firm’s Corporate Regulatory, Mergers & Acquisitions, Projects & Infrastructure, and Real Estate & Construction practice groups.
Que has more than 15 years of experience in legal practice and is highly evaluated by clients for “fast response, have good business acumen and industry knowledge”. Being fluent in both English and Chinese (Mandarin), Que advises various English-speaking and Chinese-speaking clients, as well as other multinational clients, on a wide range of legal and compliance issues.
In M&A transactions, Que has successfully led her team in closing a significant number of deals spanning a broad spectrum of industries. From due diligence to transaction documentation, the Corporate and M&A practice group under Que’s leadership has been regarded for its responsiveness and local expertise.
In addition, Que has been involved in advisory and negotiations for the development of some of Vietnam’s largest real estate and infrastructure projects. Her experience covers developments of entire new townships, commercial and residential high-rise towers, highways and other infrastructure projects of national significance.
Que has been approached and is regarded by investors, from promising start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, for her assistance in greenfield and brownfield projects. These span a broad spectrum of industries and she has been behind the setup of many successful corporations in Vietnam.
Prior to managing Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, Que was the Head of Legal Affairs & Corporate Compliance for Bayer Vietnam. In this position, she provided practical guidance and solutions for various legal and corporate compliance issues relating to the core businesses of the company, including consumer care, healthcare, veterinary care, agribusiness and materials science. During her term at Bayer, she was also a Member of the Corporate Business Services Management Team.
Projects, Infrastructure & Energy
- Advised a leading Chinese state-owned enterprise on the setup of a US$65+ million lubricant oil manufacturing plant with a specialised port.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise in its cooperation with Vietnam Electricity (EVN) for the development of the US$1.5+ billion Duyen Hai 3 Thermal Power Plant.
- Advised a leading Chinese construction group in a build-transfer contract for the construction of the US$260+ million junction line between Halong City and Bach Dang Bridge.
- Advised Anhui Conch Cement Company on its USD 250 million acquisition of one of Vietnam’s largest cement companies.
- Assisted a Chinese foodstuff manufacturer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese manufacturing plant with 5 branches.
- Assisted a Japanese investor in acquiring a more than 20% equity stake in a Vietnamese listed logistics company, one of the few successful acquisitions in this restricted line of business.
- Assisted a major American educational organisation on its internal restructuring and acquisition plans to bolster its presence in southern Vietnam.
- Advised a leading Korean conglomerate on deal structuring and assisted in drafting all transaction documentation for a takeover of a major Vietnamese manufacturer.
- Assisted a Japanese investor in a share transfer among a group of Singaporean companies in the construction industry.
- Assisted a Malaysian investor in its acquisition of gaming and casino rights in a five-star hotel in Vietnam.
- Advised a Hong Kong company on structuring for its acquisition of a Vietnamese healthcare product manufacturing company.
- Advised a Vietnamese tobacco company in its restructuring and proposed equity sale of over UD 200 million.
- Advised a Singapore group on implementing its US$65+ million hospital project from inception to opening.
- Advised a major Dutch animal nutrition and fish feed manufacturer on their equity takeover of its Vietnamese subsidiary.
- Advised a leading global testing, inspection and certification company on their equity takeover of their Vietnamese subsidiary.
Banking & Finance
- Advised Novelis Inc. on Vietnamese law matters for its subsidiary’s entrance into a US$1+ billion revolving credit agreement.
- Advised multiple Chinese financial institutions in their corporate regulatory and general commercial matters.
- Assisted a leading Chinese construction company in the drafting of a VND 300+ billion loan agreement with Quang Ninh Province for land clearance and mine and bomb disarmament, as part of a nationally significant infrastructure project.
- Advised Lombard Asia III L.P. in drafting the amendments and registration with SBV of an offshore loan with a Vietnamese company.
- Advised a leading Japanese credit institution on setting up its presence in Vietnam, as well as advising on the structuring of its credit card issuance programs with leading Vietnamese financial institutions.
Construction & Real Estate
- Advised a leading Chinese real estate development group on its proposed multibillion dollar project development in southern Vietnam.
- Advised the Paujar Group on its development of the Docklands residential project in District 7 and their Flemington condominium project District 11, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised a leading Singaporean real estate developer on its development (and subsequent sales and leasing arrangements) of its shopping complex and commercial real estate developments across southern Vietnam.
- Advised a leading Japanese real estate company in its joint venture with Becamex Binh Duong for its development of a condominium project in Binh Duong Province.
- Advised a leading Singaporean real estate developer on its numerous investment projects in central Ho Chi Minh City.
- Visiting Lecturer of Dong A Law School, Dong A University, South Korea
- Member of International Bar Association
- Member of the Vietnam Bar Federation
- Member of the Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
- Member of the China Business Association Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member of the Council of Taiwanese Chambers of Commerce in Ho Chi Minh City
- "Local practice rules the Law", Tsinghua Law Journal (Beijing, China), Nov 2003 (published Chinese language).
- “Practical Implementation Encumbrances of the Law on Investment and Law on Enterprises in Vietnam” - DongA Journal of International Business Transactions Law (Busan, South Korea) Volume 8/December 2012 (published in English language).
- “Digging deeper in Mining M&A”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 26 – Sep 1, 2013 (published in English).
- “M&A Opportunities in Mining Sectors for Foreign Investors”, M&A 2013 Journal (Hanoi, Vietnam), July 2013 (published in Vietnamese).
- “Vietnam – Merger Control”, Global Legal Insight 2014 (published in English).
- “Pitfall on new landlord every investor should avoid”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 11-17, 2014 (published in English).
- “M&A deal: Notes on Competition law”, Saigon Times (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), December 18-2014 (publish in Vietnamese).
- “New M&A growth blocked by lack of legal clarification”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 3-9, 2015 (published in English)
- “Change to Real Estate Law begets challenges”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 3-9, 2015 (published in English)