Vu Thi Que is the Partner in charge of Corporate Regulatory, Merger & Acquisition, Project Infrastructure, Real Estate & Construction projects with more than twelve years of experience in legal practice and is highly evaluated by clients for “fast response, have good business acumen and industry knowledge”.
Being fluent in both English and Chinese (Mandarin), she advises a variety of English- speaking and Chinese-speaking clients and other multinational clients on a wide range of legal and compliance issues in connection with contract negotiation and drafting, foreign investment, general commercial matters, corporate regulations, mergers and acquisitions, construction, project infrastructure and energy, employment and environmental law.
Before managing Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, she was the Head of Legal Affairs & Corporate Compliance for Bayer Vietnam. In this position, she provided practical guidance and solutions for various legal and corporate compliance issues relating to the core businesses of the company, including consumer care, healthcare, veterinary care, agribusiness and materials science. During her term at Bayer, she was also a Member of the Corporate Business Services Management Team.
She graduated from the School of Law of Tsinghua University located in Beijing China under the Chinese Government Scholarship with a major focusing on civil law and commerce. Before coming back to Vietnam, Que worked part time as a paralegal and an interpreter for a number of Chinese companies during her school days. Upon graduation, she was offered to work at the Ho Chi Minh City Office of Baker & McKenzie, a top tier American international law firm after a successful interview at Baker & McKenzie Beijing Office. She continued her legal career in the French largest international law firm, Gide Loyrette Nouel, as the Head of Chinese Desk.
Project Infrastructure & Energy
- Advised a leading Taiwanese state own enterprise on the set up of a lubricant oil manufacturing plant with a specialized port with value of more than US$65 million.
- Advised a Chinese state own enterprise for their cooperation with Vietnam Electricity (EVN) in Duyen Hai 3 Thermal Power Plant with value of more than US$1.5 billion.
- Advised Taiwanese leading construction group in a Build –Transfer Contract (BT Contract) for the construction of the junction line between Halong City and Bach Dang Bridge with a total value of more than US$263 million.
- Assisted a Japanese investor in acquiring the more than 20% shares of a listed company operating in International freight forwarding sea-air-land, logistics services and bonded warehouse services.
- Assisted a major American education organization in the internal merger and acquisition plan in order to strengthen its presence in the South of Vietnam.
- Advised a leading Korean corporation on deal structuring and assisted the client in drafting all the necessary legal documents to facilitate the acquisition of 100% shares of a legal entity in the manufacturing sector.
- Assisted with the share transfer of a group of Singapore companies, owning two subsidiaries in Vietnam in the construction sector, to a Japanese investor.
- Assisted a leading Hong Kong group in acquiring shares of a local textile manufacturing company.
- Advised a Malaysian investor in conducting a legal due diligence in a five star hotel for the acquisition of the right to manage and operate the electronic gaming business of the hotel.
- Advised on the deal structure for the share acquisition of a Hong Kong company in a joint venture company in Vietnam manufacturing healthcare products.
- Advised a Japanese leading steel corporation on a major M&A in Vietnam.
- Represented a variety of companies based in Vietnam on M&A transactions with various Vietnamese investment funds.
- Advised a Vietnamese tobacco company in restructuring, due diligence and M&A with a potential buyer. The deal was led by a world class investment banker and assessed at over US$200 Million.
- Advised a Singapore group on implementing this project starting from the beginning until the opening ceremony on 5th January 2014 of the hospital. Deal value is about US$66,000,000.
- Advised a Netherlands animal nutrition and fish feed manufacturing on their 100% share transfers of its subsidiary in Vietnam.
- Advised a French world leader in testing, inspection and certification on their 100% share transfer of its subsidiary in Vietnam.
- Advised a Chinese leading cement manufacturing corporation in taking over 100% share of a Vietnam cement manufacturer in Vietnam.
Banking & Finance
- Advised a Canadian Group., a global leader in rolled aluminum products and the largest recycler of aluminum in the world, in respect of its equity capitalized in its subsidiary in Vietnam, who co-signed with other subsidiaries to entered into a 301 page Amended And Restated Credit Agreement with the value of US$1,000,000,000.
- Advised a number of Chinese and Taiwanese commercial banks in their corporate regulatory and general commerce matters.
Construction & Real Estate
- Advised Paujar Group a Taiwanese conglomerate established back in 1989, for their Dockland residential project in District 7 and their Flemington condominium project District 11, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised one of the leading Singapore group on the construction and leasing of VIVO City project in Ho Chi Minh City and their real estate business activities in Binh Duong Province.
- Advised Japanese leading real estate corporation for their joint venture cooperation with Becamex Binh Duong in a condominium project in Binh Duong Province.
- Advised Singapore leading player in real estate industry for their investment projects in District 1 and District 5, Ho Chi Minh City.
Memberships / Directorships
- Visiting Lecturer of Dong A Law School, Dong A University, South Korea
- Member of International Bar Association
- Member of the Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
- Member of the Vietnam Federal Bar Association
- Member of the China Business Association Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member of the Council of Taiwanese Chambers of Commerce in Ho Chi Minh City
- "Local practice rules the Law", Tsinghua Law Journal (Beijing, China), Nov 2003 (published Chinese language).
- “Practical Implementation Encumbrances of the Law on Investment and Law on Enterprises in Vietnam” - DongA Journal of International Business Transactions Law (Busan, South Korea) Volume 8/December 2012 (published in English language).
- “Digging deeper in Mining M&A”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 26 – Sep 1, 2013 (published in English).
- “M&A Opportunities in Mining Sectors for Foreign Investors”, M&A 2013 Journal (Hanoi, Vietnam), July 2013 (published in Vietnamese).
- “Vietnam – Merger Control”, Global Legal Insight 2014 (published in English).
- “Pitfall on new landlord every investor should avoid”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 11-17, 2014 (published in English).
- “Leaders in their field”, Ranked in Corporate & M&A for both Vietnam and China jurisdiction – Global Chambers 2013, 2014, 2015
- Highly recommended as a leading lawyer in Corporate/M&A, Banking & Finance and Projects Infrastructure and Energy by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014, 2015
- Recommended Lawyer for Corporate M&A, ranked by Legal500 2013, 2014, 2015
- Recommended lawyer for Project and Infrastructure, ranked by Legal500 2013, 2014, 2105
- "Leading lawyer” for Project & Infrastructure, ranked by IFLR 2014, 2015.
- Chinese (Mandarin)