Jaime Renato (Jim) Gatmaytan is a founding partner and the managing partner of C&G Law.
Jim advises on corporate and commercial transactions, including on equity investments, share and asset acquisitions, lending, security and other financing arrangements, real estate transactions, and construction and infrastructure projects. His experience in energy, construction and infrastructure work tracked the development of build-operate-transfer arrangements in the Philippines, having assisted in a number of infrastructure projects undertaken under the then recently-enacted BOT legislation. These include the development of various diesel-powered generation plants in Mindanao, the 1200-MW gas-fired Ilijan power plant and the 210-MW (net) STEAG State Power Inc. coal-fired power plant, as well as the Manila Metro Rail Transit System Line 3 (MRT3) along EDSA.
His work has extended outside of the Philippines and includes work with developers and sponsors on tenders for generation projects in China and Thailand, as well as structuring and documentation work in Indonesia, Pakistan, and Thailand.
Jim has been cited as a leading Philippine lawyer in the Corporate/Commercial field by Chambers & Partners in its 2010 to 2016 Asia-Pacific publications, and in the Projects, Energy and Infrastructure space in its 2015 and 2016 publications. He has also been named as a leading lawyer in the M&A and Project Finance fields in the Philippines in the 2015 and 2016 editions of IFLR 1000. Legal 500 Asia Pacific has recognised him as a leading lawyer in Real Estate and Construction and as a recommended lawyer in Projects and Energy in its 2016 publication.
Prior to founding C&G Law in February 2007, Jim joined SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan in 1990 and was a partner at that firm from 2000 until February 2007.
Jim is heavily involved in the corporate and commercial department of C&G Law. His more notable representative assignments include:
- Leading the team in advising the Department of Transportation and the Manila International Airport Authority in the proposed redevelopment of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
- Advising the Department of Transportation in the tender for the development, financing, construction, operation and maintenance of a nineteen-kilometre elevated rail transit system traversing parts of Cavite province south of Metropolitan Manila.
- Assisting a consortium of international banks extending a US$650 million bridge facility to Aboitiz Power Corporation to fund the planned acquisition of power generation assets.
- Leading the team that advised the Philippine Statistics Authority in the tender for the computerisation of the civil registry functions of the PSA.
- Leading the team that assisted a consortium made up of four of the country’s largest infrastructure and real estate development companies in the bid for the Laguna Lakeshore Expressway-Dike Project of the Department of Public Works and Highways and the Laguna Lake Development Authority.
- Leading the team that assisted in the pre-qualification of a consortium for the Bacolod-Silay (Iloilo) (Bundle 1) Davao, Laguindingan and New Bohol (Panglao) (Bundle 2) Regional Airports Development and Operations and Maintenance Projects of the Department of Transportation and the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines.
- Co-leading the team that advised Ayala Land, Inc. in its bid for the South Integrated Transport System Project.
- Co-leading the team that advised Ayala Healthcare Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of a fifty percent interest in the Generika group of companies, a generics pharmacy, that broadened the Ayala group's presence in the healthcare sector.
- Advising The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd. in extending a US$400 million bridge loan to Aboitiz Equity Ventures, Inc. to fund its acquisition of an interest in cement manufacturing assets.
- Leading the local legal team advising Team Orion (an Ayala-Aboitiz consortium) in the tender for the financing, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the Cavite-Laguna Expressway Project.
- Advising Therma Visayas, Inc. on the financing of a 300MW coal-fired power plant to be located in Toledo City, Cebu.
- Co-leading the team that advised AAA Airport Partners, the consortium of A2 Airport Partners, Inc. (an Ayala-Aboitiz company) and ADC & HAS Airports Worldwide, Inc. (“AAA”), in the bid for the Mactan Cebu International Airport Project.
- Advising Therma South, Inc. on the financing and construction of a 300-MW coal-fired plant in Davao.
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines (1991-present)
- Cited as a leading Philippine lawyer in the Corporate/Commercial field by Chambers Asia-Pacific in its 2010 to 2016 editions.
- Cited as a leading Philippine lawyer in the Projects, Energy and Infrastructure, and Corporate & Finance fields by Chambers Global in its 2015 and 2016 editions,
- Named as a leading lawyer in the M&A and Project Finance fields in the Philippines in the 2015 and 2016 editions of IFLR1000.
- Recognised as a leading lawyer in Real Estate and Construction and as a recommended lawyer in Projects and Energy by Legal 500 Asia Pacific in its 2016 publication.