Proficient in English, Mandarin and Cantonese, Hazel’s areas of practice encompass a wide range of contentious and non-contentious work in the areas of construction, engineering and infrastructure projects in the region.
Hazel has advised clients over a broad range of issues such as risk mitigation in construction projects, recovery of outstanding payment in major construction projects, joint venture disputes, shareholders’ disputes and employment matters, and effectively represented clients in arbitration, litigation, adjudication and mediation proceedings.
Hazel graduated from the National University of Singapore and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2007.
Hazel has extensive experience in litigation, adjudication, arbitration and mediation in disputes in oil and gas projects, power plants, mining operations and major construction projects such as airport terminals, condominiums.
- Advising a company in relation to a dispute arising from a joint venture agreement with a foreign company regarding franchising arrangements in Beijing, PRC.
- Acting for foreign directors of a PRC ship-building company in relation to a dispute arising from an investment agreement with a foreign national in defending a claim in excess of GBP4 million.
- Representing a Hong Kong company in arbitration arising from a joint venture agreement with a Singapore company in relation to the supply and sale of sand and aggregate for a claim in excess of SGD4 million. The joint venture agreement was secured by various personal guarantees mutually executed by the directors of each company, giving rise to concurrent litigation proceedings in the Singapore Courts. The arbitration is governed by the SIAC Rules and seated in Singapore.
- Representing a leading energy provider in the region in a SIAC arbitration arising from various agreements with a Singapore company and an Indonesian company in relation to a project to mine, transport and sell coal in and from a site in Indonesia, and the construction and operation of a port and a jetty to facilitate delivery of the coal mined. The amount claimed by the claimant is in excess of USD2.1 million. The arbitration is governed by the SIAC Rules and seated in Singapore.
- Representing a BVI company in an ongoing arbitration arising from a supply of services agreement with an Indian company in relation to the supply of business consultancy services. The arbitration is governed by SIAC Rules and seated in Singapore.
- Representing a Thai company in a dispute arising out of an agreement for the construction of a hydropower facility in Laos in ICC arbitration for a claim in excess of THB300 million.
- Acted for a leading electronic, security and fire protection specialist subcontractor in a suit commenced in Singapore relating to a dispute arising from various contracts in excess of SGD 9 million for the construction of an airport with claims relating to over 110 variation orders, involving claims in excess of SGD17 million.
- Acted for an established Korean insurance company in a suit commenced in Singapore in relation to a dispute with a Singapore reinsurance company over a reinsurance contract; the claims involved exceeded KRW1.9 billion.
- Advised various concrete suppliers on the impact of the Indonesian Government’s ban on the export of sand to Singapore in relation to their respective existing supply contracts.
- Advised an international construction company in a dispute arising out of an EC agreement governed by Singapore law for the construction of an ethylene production plant in Singapore for a claim in excess of SGD500 million.
- Acting for a global vendor of building efficiency products and services in an ad hoc arbitration against a subsidiary of a global conglomerate over disputes arising from the design and construction of a cooling plant in Singapore. The disputes involve complex and highly technical issues of high voltage electrical design and equipment manufacture, as well as on the design, engineering, operation and maintenance of cooling plants.
- Advising and providing legal service support for a multinational company’s business in the power solution, building efficiency business across Asia-Pacific including the reviewing and advising on the drafting of contracts including sales agreements, systems or construction agreements, framework agreements, service/maintenance/energy solutions agreements, sales/distribution agreements, construction/renovation agreements, letters of intent, design service/development agreements, quality guarantee agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Advising on risk management and mitigation measures in managing potential claims and providing legal service support for a building efficiency company in reviewing their contractual documents, contractual procedures and conducting training for a building efficiency company in Singapore.
- Advised an IT company in the drafting of a co-operation agreement with an Indonesian company to carry out business in relation to the development of e-commerce applications and other information technology and computer service activities.
- Advised an IT company in the review and drafting of an agreement for the provision of datacenter infrastructure services.
- Advised a logistical company in the review and drafting of its lease agreement.
- Advised a specialist subcontractor in the review of a tender for the supply and installation of cabling and IT Network equipment for a hospital in Singapore.
- Advised a specialist subcontractor in the review of a tender for the supply and installation of air conditioning works for a commercial building in Singapore.
- Goh Kok Hwa Richard and others v Lim Choo Suan Elizabeth and others  SGSTB 2
- Lim Choo Suan Elizabeth and others v Goh Kok Hwa Richard and others  4 SLR(R) 193
- Hanwha Non-Life Insurance Co Ltd v Alba Pte Ltd  1 SLR 941
- York International Pte Ltd v Voltas Ltd  3 SLR 1142
- YTL Construction (S) Pte Ltd v Balanced Engineering & Construction Pte Ltd  SGHC 142
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Council Member, Law Society of Singapore (2010 – 2013)
- Member, Australasian Forum for International Arbitration (2010 – to-date)
- Accredited Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre (2011 – to-date)
- Member, State Courts’ Panel of Court Volunteers (Mediator in the Primary Dispute Resolution Centre) (2014 – to-date)
- Member, Panel of Primary Justice Lawyers (2014 – to-date)
- Foreign Mediator, Shanghai International Arbitration Centre (2015 – to-date)
- Member, China Academy of Arbitration Law (2016 – to-date)